Thursday, October 2, 2008

$$$

I love, love, love my job (most days). For the past couple months I have been filling in where needed in a couple different departments. I feel like I am really starting to become a lot more useful. I love that feeling! I love the challenge of learning new things while still having my same old boring job. I didn't originally want to transfer to my current location, but I figure if I have to work there I may as well enjoy it and I may as well learn something while I still have the opportunity.

This is where the dilemma comes in. There is always a dilemma isn't there? There is an assistant supervisor position available right now. I keep telling myself I don't want the job. I like being the "fill-in" girl. I like knowing how to do the job and being able to do it well, but not have the responsibility to do it everyday. But on the other hand I really enjoy the job. I can go back and forth in my mind several times per day. Most people say to put my name in for the position. If I don't get it then it's no big deal because I can still be "fill-in" girl. But if I do get it then I would easily transition into the job because I have already been trained and taken all the classes. Oh..and I would get a raise.

My side of the story goes a little something like this. Not many months ago I was promoted to be assistant supervisor and I joyfully accepted my new job. But then I was always stressed that I wasn't doing everything perfectly and I stressed myself into sickness. I was rushed to the ER 2 times in a matter of 3 months for serious health problems. I have nightmares of that happening again. I don't want to put myself in that situation again. I first and foremost need to be able to care for my family. And if I am sick all the time I can't do that. So, it's not that I can't do the job, because I can..and I know I like it, but I fear I will stress myself out (because that is what I do best) and not be able to do the job. Besides, I don't think I could take the rejection. Isn't that always in the back of the mind or is it just me?

I don't have an unlimited amount of time to make my decision. I really need to decide and decide now. Maybe I'll use General Conference as a time to reflect and be closer to the spirit to help me make my decision. The more I think about it and pray about it and say I'm not going to do it the more I don't feel easy inside. I have been going back and forth for 3 weeks now. That's a long time to make a simple decision. ACK! I just don't want to set myself up for disaster.

6 comments:

  1. You have already answered your question...
    " I don't want to put myself in that situation againI first and foremost need to be able to care for my family. And if I am sick all the time I can't do that. So, it's not that I can't do the job, because I can..and I know I like it, but I fear I will stress myself out (because that is what I do best) and not be able to do the job."
    Question answered...First and Formost...
    Read Sister Julie Beck's talk from the RS broadcast...you already know your answer.

    and as far as canning goes, if you don't have a garden, just store up on case good sales.

    If you want to learn, find someone in your ward that cans. Learn from them.
    Every book will tell you something different.

    PS
    Enjoy Conference

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister Beck's talk is all about "a mom's position is being a mom at home" if I remember correctly. If you find that you feel your place is working right now, I don't think people can give that kind of advice to you. They don't know what kind of revelation you get. Just my opinion. I know this sounds like a snappy comment. But we need to keep in mind that some people feel like they need or want to work instead of being at home being a mommy all the time. And That's ok. The proc. to the world on the family said "where possible" be at home. If it's not possible right now, it's ok. As far as the job goes, I have no good advice. sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with "Winters Family",
    Working besides at home is a personal choice.
    I though the question was if you should take the promotion and work more...
    Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was about the promotion. Working is not an option at this point. As much as I would Love to stay home I must work. The tough call is to know if I should go for more responsibility which equals more money or stay in my same old boring job. I love both jobs so it is going to be a tough call even though I am leaning towards not going for the promotion. We'll see. I'm filling in all next week...so we'll see how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please keep me posted. You are sure in my thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't mean to be mean... I wasn't meaning my comment to be an attack on anyone. It was just a little bit of a touchy subject for me when I posted. sorry Janiece!

    ReplyDelete