Sunday, November 30, 2008

Depression

Depression is a funny thing. It varies from feeling a little blue to not being able to function in day-to-day activities. It can be triggered by traumatic events or just be a chemical imbalance. It can last for just a few hours to a lifetime. It’s different for every person. Some people believe you have complete control over depression. Others believe only medications can fix it.

I am thankful that I haven’t had the lifetime of depression that causes me to not want to face the world. I don’t have the voices telling me that I am such a disgrace to the world that it would be better off without me. But I have friends and family that aren’t so lucky. They battle with those voices. They face the ugly blackness of depression. They feel alone, even with close family and friends by their side. They feel ugly, dirty, unworthy, etc.

If I could go back to school I would study depression and the human brain. It fascinates me. I have spent many hours thinking about it, wanting to know what it is, why it happens, who is prone to it, how to fix it. I would love to be involved in scientific studies (as the scientist…not the patient). I want people to be happy. I want to help. I probably won’t ever make it back to school to get a formal education, and that is ok. Maybe I can still help…help people believe in themselves and the world around them. I hope I can.

1 comment:

  1. well said. It makes me sad that people have to have those feelings of inadequacy. and the whole time I don't know if what I am saying is helping or hurting. Love you.

    ReplyDelete