Monday, January 19, 2009

Menu Monday

For a long time I have wanted to plan a weekly menu. I think it would be helpful on many levels. It would help with the grocery shopping, and I wouldn't have to think about dinner all day long, I could eliminate quick trips to the store that always end up costing a bunch, and I won't have to answer the annoying question, "What's for dinner?" I usually answer, "I don't know what do you want?" And then it's 8:30pm before we eat. So, I finally got my act together and pulled a little something together. And from that menu I made a grocery list. And from that list I stayed in our food budget. Who would've thunk?

It's nothing fancy, but here it is...

Monday: Brats --Dave ended up having a (steak) dinner meeting for work so I made a cheese quesadilla for Christian and I ate leftovers.

Tuesday: Mac and Cheese with hot dogs and green beans

Wednesday: Spaghetti, salad, and french bread

Thursday: BLTs with avocado and potato chips

Friday: Sloppy Joes and tater tots and carrot sticks

Saturday: Chicken quesadillas with fresh guacamole and spanish rice and corn

Sunday: Rice and Meatsauce and green beans (can you tell we like green beans?) -- We make this differently from my mom, but it still tastes good.

Dave closes on Tuesday nights so it's just me and the munchkin for dinner. Then he has Wednesdays off so he cooks (which means it has to be simple). I have more time to cook something elaborate on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights (but as you can see it's no guarantee that I will).

Now that I am looking at this menu, it's a bunch of kid food and cheap food. I'm going to have to work on this menu thing.

2 comments:

  1. I don't see anything wrong with having cheap food, and who says things like quesadillas and mac and cheese are kid food? Planning is a good idea. I need to do that for this week since I have to do all my own cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a weekly menu too. Actually I do it monthly. We have the same foods all the time and they are usually all cheap and simple. Your's sounds good though. We should trade recipies sometime or ideas for simple meals.

    ReplyDelete