Saturday, February 21, 2009

WWYD?

As more and more of us are dependent on our internet to get us through the day I have come into a situation that is somewhat weird for me.

I am not the most outgoing person in the world. I have, over the years, moved from the painfully shy category into the shy category. It was a long process, but now I see myself moving back to the painfully shy category more and more each day. I don't find it easy to speak up in groups. It usually takes me a while to feel comfortable to express my opinions to people I don't know. I hate conflict. I think you get the picture.

I have really enjoyed blogging because I am able to say what I want and if you are bored by me or offended then you don't have to continue reading. I get it off my chest without the immediate rejection from my listeners/readers.

I recently joined the site MomsLikeMe. For the most part I have really enjoyed hearing what other moms in my community have to say. Everyone is really nice and mostly nonjudgmental. I have been able to talk to other moms in my area with kids that are the same age as mine. As well as other moms that are trying for another. There is a group for virtually everyone out there, and if there is not, it only takes 5 seconds to create one.

There is a safety to having "internet" friends. But when you want to meet that person in real life...face to face...and introduce your kids...I turn into panic mode. What is it about meeting new people that makes me go crazy? I am 26 years old. I should be over the teenage mentality. What if they don't like me? Who cares? I have friends that do like me. So what if that one person doesn't like me. I don't like everyone I meet.

A big part of MomsLikeMe is to set up playdates or other get togethers. The point is to make friends and be a support to other moms. Now, somebody wants to go on a playdate with me and Christian. I don't want to be rude and not go just because I am too shy. I can't take my husband...that would be weird. None of my friends have children that are Christian's same age...hence the reason I joined the site in the first place.

Does this almost seem like Internet Dating? What Would You Do? Why do I push myself into situations that I know will make me uncomfortable?

To meet or not to meet? ... That is the question.

(I didn't know I was so worked up about this...sorry! It's been nagging at me for a week.)

3 comments:

  1. I dont think i could ever meet with someone from the internet. It just seems way too risky. Instead go to library story time or the park to meet other moms, get to know them and then set up play dates or from church. You never know when someone would want to scam you and women are actually pretty good at scamming like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not worried about that at all. She knows nothing about me. Not even my name yet. I have no personal info on the site, other than I live in Parker and have an 18 month old son. We are going to the Children's Museum...very public and there will be a group. There is nobody in my ward that I would want to spend much time with. Sadly! I do not fit in in Parker at all. That is why I pester Dave to move so much. I never intended to meet anyone on this site, and I have not made any concrete plans...such as date, time, etc. But thanks for the concern. I have the same things in mind too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say meet her, but go early and survey first... she's just like you. But I'm more outgoing too. The museum is a big place, I would. What's the risk? You either get another friend or don't.

    ReplyDelete